A Refractive procedure is a surgery performed by eye specialists to address the refractive problem (visual power) of the eye. It is typically done to reduce dependency on glasses and contact lenses.
What is the correct age that a patient can get refractive surgery?
Eye doctors suggest that it can be done to a patient with stable refraction (glass power) after the age of 18 – 21 years. Eye specialists check complete clinical history alongside eye assessment in all patients, unique Investigations like corneal topography (Pentacam, Orbscan), Anterior segment Optical Coherence Tomography (ASCOT) are performed to assess the shape, thickness of the cornea and different components of the eye.
What are the different kinds of eye refractive surgeries?
According to the best eye doctors in Delhi, Corneal correction incorporates laser power correction and this can be additionally divided into 3 kinds.
PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy)/Touchless LASIK
- This technique includes removal of the skin of the cornea otherwise called the epithelium, this is followed by Excimer laser (frequency 193 nm) ablation which reshapes the corneal surface – to address the refractive error of the eye.
- A contact lens is applied for 3 days till epithelium (skin of the cornea) regenerates beneath.
LASIK (Flap Based Procedure)
- This is an extremely well-known strategy that includes the formation of a flap cornea(100-130 microns)followed by excimer laser ablation. This flap can be made by two techniques
- Microkeratome: This is a specific cutting edge that creates a flap of the cornea as in Blade based LASIK procedure.
- Femtosecond laser: This is a particular laser which creates a corneal flap at desired depth giving a uniform thickness, stronger flap.thus this procedure is called bladefree LASIK.
- Once the corneal flap is created either by Microkeratome or Femtosecond laser, we ablate the cornea with Excimer laser to correct the refractive error. The laser is fired for 30-60 seconds following which the flap is put back and the original structure of cornea is restored.
Refractive Lenticule Extraction – ReLEX SMILE/FLEX
- This is relatively recent technology with certain limitations.
- The refractive error is corrected by creating a lenticule inside the cornea using Femtosecond laser and then dissecting it and extracting it through a small 3mm wide cornea pocket thus minimising the incidence of dry eye post LASIK.
Contoura Lasik- Patients with pure cylindrical powers do well with contoura LASIK. Not all patients require to undergo LASIK on this platfom.
For Very High Myopes-Is there any other option available?
For patients in whom LASIK cannot be performed due very high refractive error and inadequate corneal thickness there are two options available.
Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL/IpCL)
This procedure involves implantation of collamer lenses(which resemble contact lenses) into the eye after accurate measurements of various components of the eye. This is areversible procedure as the lens can be removed easily anytime during the lifetime.
Refractive lens exchange
In the Refractive lens exchange, the clear crystalline lens is removed and replaced with appropriate power intraocular lens like in cataract surgery. This surgery is indicated in very high myopes(above-18D) or high hypermetropes.
What are the precautions to be taken after the surgery?
After the LASIK procedure(any type) , you need to take rest on the same day. After going home keep your eyes closed and relax. Start putting the eyedrops prescribed after 4 hours as there may be slight blurring, irritation and watering. You can start doing your activities from next day onwards. Go for your review and start putting the eyedrops as prescribed. Avoid head bath for a week to prevent water going into the eyes. You can watch TV, Mobile, Computer screen as usual. Wear sunglasses while going out. Avoid gymming, swimming or contact sports for a month. Let the flap heal well. Eye makeup can be applied after 1 week. You can travel after 1 week.
Which is the best place to get refractive surgery?
If you are motivated to get rid of glasses and contact lenses, do consult Dr. Sridevi Haldar at OrthoVision Clinic, Noida for further assessment and management.
Before & After Gallery
Molten metal burn
After Cornea Transplant
Dr. Sridevi Haldar
Cataract,Cornea & Refractive Eye Surgeon
Dr. Sridevi Haldar (Gunda) is an eminent eye surgeon providing expert services to leading city hospitals across Delhi NCR. She has been associated with Dr. Shroff Eye Hospital, Delhi; Venu Eye Institute, Saket and Sharpsight Centre in the past.
Qualification: After graduating in year 2005, she pursued her interest of specializing in the field of Ophthalmology and completed her post-graduation from world renowned, prestigious instate;”